Sunday 26 August 2018

My NYSC Call-up Letter Story - Eucharia Omoregbe

My NYSC Call-Up Letter Story
Part One

It was on a Friday like this, on the 20th of July. The expected day of our call up letters and also my last day at the place where I was working as a secondary school teacher.
You see, I had tendered my resignation to my proprietor against advice from people because I was certain that I was going to camp the following week.

Majority of my friends believed that I did the wrong thing because I was among the people that did fresh registration and few of us were to be picked because most of batch A stream 2 were still on ground. Oh my world, tendering my resignation was no easy task, but I had to tender my resignation with at least two weeks notice or I would lose my salary for that month, it was in our schools constitution and also I just knew deep down that I was going to camp with batch B ... Talk of great faith right.

Back to the expected day of call up printing, my supposed last day at work. It was also our vacation day, So we teachers were jobless in school. I kept checking my dashboard and people of God, I was seeing nothing. I came online to get updates from this NYSC 2018 batch A, B, C group. I kept seeing different posts, my brethren every one was anxious. I was particularly scared of being jobless till November (shey NYSC previously told us there will be no streams) , see ehn I loved my teaching job and I don't joke with my salary o.

Then the news started rolling in, gbam gbam, people started seeing their call up letters. Different updates from here and my watsap group indicated this. Next thing everyone was uploading their call up letters, I quickly rushed to open my dashboard . My brothers and sisters, I saw nothing, as in no call up letter, nothing at all.

My hands started shaking uncontrollably, first thing that came to my mind was, No salary till November... Jesus I was losing on both sides, no call up letter, no Job, no free holiday salary from my employer.

Then my mind started telling me.. UK go and kneel down and beg your proprietor, tell him you were foolish and you take back your resignation. I was actually about to take that advise, then our evil meeting started.... The last meeting for the session that we were all waiting for. I sat down for the meeting o, brethren you needed to see the frown on my face when the proprietor called my name and told everyone that "our dearest teacher UK is leaving us...... "

*written by Omoregbe Eucharia
Read Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment